Saturday, February 09, 2008

The Practice


On February 4, I got to sign my contract and started my first job as a legal assistant / researcher at this Law Firm, currently composed of two senior partners and a young female associate, plus two of us paralegals.
I am now handling four cases, three of which are active, one is already in the appellate court, one in the regional trial court, on in the QCBAA, one in the demand level.
My first boss, the most senior one, B.G.A. is already retired, a graduate of UP Law and Universidad de Madrid, whilst the managing partner, J.R.A. is a blue-blooded Atenista, UP Law graduate and has a master's from Universitas Bostoniensis de la Republicae Americanae.
Yeah, the opening theme of Boston Legal keeps ringing in my mind, since it is my message alert tone. But so far, I'm fully enjoying being back into 'this' life.
JRA aptly describes his firm as a 'California-style' law firm. It has a very relaxed atmosphere. It used to have several associates, at least five more at a given time. Our clients are mostly corporations owned by Chinese or Spanish tycoons, churches, schools and several other individuals with most cases involving settlement of estates. We have a complete library of law books and Supreme Court Reports Annotated, and Corpus Juris Secundum, Words and Phrases and AmJur. Their family likwise owns several corporations including franchises of a cake shop and a luxury car dealership.
My bosses are kind and good-natured. They are not ill-mannered and evil like those I've heard from the large makati firms where the paralegals are treated like serfs, and they the kings. Plus, the staff have said that every paralegal who worked there passed the bar. And I hope the chain wouldn't be broken.
Bearing that in mind, I am now unofficially beginning The Practice of Law.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home