Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Cholera Damaged the Whore.

Okay, now that I've got your attention, and at any rate I rarely sleep, and in a few hours I'd be traveling for an overnight stay at Puerto Galera, I'd thought of posting a sort of review of my recent readings and what I have watched lately. MEMORIES OF MY MELANCHOLY WHORES: Old Age and Youthful Lust, not so romantic. Good, but not one of my favorites. Translation could possibly be the problem, as it translator perhaps did not capture the Marquez magic for words.
LOVE IN THE TIME OF CHOLERA: Still not half way through, however, I could not put it down when I started reading this. Each page is superb. The play is words is just enthralling. With an opening line of "It was Inevitable: The scent of bitter almonds reminded him of unrequitted love.", you know that it is a good novel. I would kill to find a book in the original spanish text and feel the sensuality of the language, despite my limited grasp of the Castillan Tongue. Said to have exceeded the One Hundred Years of Solitude Fame. One of Gabriel Garcia Marquez' finest masterpieces.
DAMAGES: I got this pirated DVD of this series which is just about to start airing this January on Philippine Cable. It stars Glenn Close and Rose Byrne (who somehow resembles a young Monica Belluci). The First Season revolves only on a single case, unlike other legal dramas which have different cases every episode. Less legal talk, more of the human side of lawyers. Very dark and sinister. The time line is not straight, so you have flash backs every now and then, sometimes of the the same scene every episode. There are also several flash forwards, so the whole plot of the story unravels episode by episode. This is dead serious TV. Several betrayals occur within the characters, and there's no feel good moral lesson in the end, except for that tag line: "TRUST NO ONE." If lawyers were really like that, then everybody would probably be dead by now.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm also reading cholera now. the words are just so fluid and the nuances are engaging

11:18 PM  
Blogger ohme said...

yes, that's the appropriate term, "fluid". i'm not yet done with it.

my interest in Latin American films gained quite an ascent lately, after I've watched Y Tu Mama Tambien (at last!) last month, and subsequent thereto, reading Cholera. hahaha. I've also watched Cidade de Deus and The Crime of Padre Amaro.

Hey, could you give me some titles on what's good to watch as regards Lat-Am films?

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i recommend that you also watch amorres perros and pan's labyrinth and also bad education by almodovar, volver (penelope cruz) na din though di ko pa napapanood yun

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nakakaloka sa mga plot and nuances ng mga latin american films but you can see clearly what it wants to say... parang malinis na quiapo area
and oh! ngayon mo lang napanood ang y tu mama tambien?! oh dear!!

7:22 PM  
Blogger ohme said...

thank you for the recommendations. y perdona me porque no tengo mucho tiempo cuando fui en la academia de la ley. hahaha. i confess, i'm a newbie as regards Y Tu Mama Tambien, and I want to watch it one more time. well, better late than never. Cidade de Deus is in the Brazilian Portuguese tongue, and it is not Quiapo, it's Tondo!

I realized that perhaps a if a lot of our local film makers (you gotta pardon me again, because I don't watch alot of local films) try to experiment on the same idea but using the local nuances, we could perhaps have better films, rather than having spin-offs of hollywood stories.

anyways, film is not my realm, my opinion weighs more if Freedom of Expression and The Press is in question, or perhaps tax and some business laws... a perspective totally alien to this particular art.

12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home