Tuesday, March 28, 2006

VIII

Relax…

Unwind…

Slow down…

These are the three rules which I must reincorporate again into my cerebral cortex. Day one of my vacation (less the period to be spent for OJT), I’m still jumpy, up and about. It would still take time before I absorb into my system the fact that I’m officially in my 8th year in UST, and my fourth in the Faculty of Civil Law. God! I’m old!

The exam in tax was TERRIBLE! No person in their right mind would memorize the whole National Internal Revenue Code, much less the provisions on Documentary Stamp Tax, Excise Tax, Percentage Tax, VAT (inclusive of R.A. 9337 or more known to the common man as the EVAT/RVAT), Tariff and Customs Code. Madame Prudence, how ever gorgeous you are… you are insane!!!

The exam was scheduled at 4pm. It was rescheduled at 6pm, adding more salt to the wound… of sleepless nights, mental anguish, emotional anxiety and besmirched reputations.

And then around 6pm, fire trucks were all around the campus. The pharmacy laboratory behind the graduate school burned. Again. But hey, it was exciting in a morbid, sadistic kind of way. It’s once in a lifetime opportunity to see you alma mater in ashes.

Despite the incident, tuloy pa rin ang exam! Ganyang kalupit ang buhay naming sa law school. Kesehodang lumindol, mag-delubyo, may bumagsak mang kometa, o magunaw man ang mundo… tuloy pa rin.

The area around the main building was reeking with fumes and dark smoke. There was no wind, and while I was making usi, I could feel the heat emanating from the laboratory, even though I was standing more than a hundred feet away from the place. We had to transfer from the new bar review room to the reading area, cause the smoke was already seeping through the windows, cracks and crevices. That’s what they call safety precaution… transfer to the other side of the building. I should have called it a day and default all students from taking the exams, and give them straight 1.5’s instead.

After the exams, we went to Earnest’s place and had a drinking bout, more than half of the class came, and some other people from the other sections.

Then I was placed in the hot seat.

They concocted a truth serum, and the ingredients are San Mig strong ice, red horse, gin pom, lambanog, and vodka.

I was cross examined no less than by the lead defense counsel. The yard was the courtroom and everybody was listening intently to the public hearing.

Now I’ve answered the most pervasive question which I eluded all these times.

“Kayo ba?”

Res ipsa loquitur. (or is it loquitor?)

My private life is now an open book to them. And I made them take the oath. Privileged communications rule. Lawyer-client privilege. Granting that I am of slight prominence in class, I gave them what they need to know. And I feel like I came out from hiding in the bookshelf. I bind them by the supernatural law of dharma. They are duty-bound to keep it to themselves.

And after a year of being classmates, only at that instance did defense counsel and I bonded. And now my future political alliance is forged, according to the rules of engagement in drinking sessions.

If one day defense counsel becomes the President of the Republic, I sit as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.

Now, the time has come for me to prep up my room. Place all the books, cases and Xerox copies in the shelf and lock them up for good. The cleansing ritual starts now. A new life waits me two months from now.

Senior Law student.

I made it. Despite the aleatory nature of the exam results, I know in my heart that I endured three years wasted in the solitude of academic torment.


1 Comments:

Blogger cassiopeiae said...

yey! congrats!

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home