Saturday, March 25, 2006

VII

Just one last exam, and I am off to Neverland.

NEVER AGAIN TO READ LAW BOOKS.

At least until required to do so again.

I have constrained and pushed myself to the limit. 3 consecutive nights of badminton, barely six hours of sleep a night for a week, countless hours of studying. I’m not bionic, but hey, I’m still alive and kicking… voluntarily. Last night I took half a tablet of valium from Dennis’ Mom’s Drugstore. He says its valium. I read it in ARABIC. It’s not the typical valium drug that I take, but hey, I’ll trust he’s word on it. For 70 pesos, you committed reckless negligence resulting to homicide. But since I’m still alive and blogging right now. I guess no crime was consummated.

Thursday, I went and dropped by my alma mater minore. There’s this ‘Homecoming’ show by MTV, featuring the famous people returning back to their respective schools. It was hosted by a certain VJ Nicole and John Joe, who, although I sat with them inside the School Director’s sitting room, I didn’t mind either, for I haven’t seen them on TV.

And who else of course am I supposed to meet there? The one and only, the Prince of Pop, the first grand champion of Star in a Million.

And I’ve realized how jologs our teachers are. And though it’s a matter of perspective, I still couldn’t stomach that they are so star struck with a singer who was merely a thinly student back then. I have nothing against the Prince, he is my friend, we grew up together, but never did I ever goad at him nor worship him like he was the Salvador del Mundo. Again, it is a matter of perspective. He maybe a backroom productions talent, but for me, he is still the funny guy who loved to impersonate, to do voices, and who sings scales beyond the eight octaves.

If I become a lawyer, would they screech and take pictures of me too? Probably not.

I’m still unfit to find my place within the masa crowd. They have their kilig moments with popstars. I had mine with Chief Justice Davide, Justices Melencio-Herrera, Ynares-Santiago, Sandoval-Gutierrez, Panganiban, Puno, etc.

Yesterday, I arrived at school around past four, knowing that my exams in Corporation law (5 units raised to 10th power.) is 6pm. I was just about to take my seat upon arrival at the music section of the Library, when Marvelous, Carol and Lot simultaneously texted and asked me where I am. I told them I was in school. Turns out that the exam starts at 4pm for that day. I came rushing to the Main Building, and there was Carol waiting for me at the Lobby looking so worried. We entered the classroom and I was met with “whooo’s” and “yihees.” And for all the hell do I care what that was all about. Turns out, according to Marvelous, that Carol has been in and out of the classroom waiting and looking for me.

Yeah, this girl loves me. She just can’t admit it. Everybody knows that we’ve been brewing something for quite a while. But I just stopped brewing.

Why? Cause up to now, she doesn’t know what she wants. I had enough of ambiguities and compromising implications and liberal constructions in my favor. I want it to be expressed… That is all that I want of her.

Good thing the exams didn’t start until 4:48pm. Sheer luck maybe… or the gods are still smiling upon me.

Then today, I was supposedly trying to catch up with Bernice’s wedding. I ended up in the reception because of the following factors, to wit: 1. the exams began at 3:30, when it was supposed to start at three. I finished the damn thing in an hour and 25 minutes perhaps. I was the first person to get out of the classroom. Never minding what the hell a ‘slowdown’ is or what the fuck is a ‘substitutionary rule.’ At that point, I have to have an answer, no matter how illogical it maybe. I just made things up… a smorgasbord of Rules of Civil Procedure, Labor Relations Law, Statutory Construction and Constitutional Law.; and 2. The traffic in Manila and Malabon is heavy as hell.

Well, at least I made it to the food. Though I wasn’t in the picture-taking ceremony.

And then there was Ida, a former classmate of mine in Law school. Turns out she was also invited ‘cause she was Bernice’s classmate in the College of Commerce. Chit-chat here and there, then adieus.

Now, I’m sitting here in front of my desktop, with a cold glass of beer in my left side. Trying to record parcels of my life and thoughts. Well, the thought part wouldn’t be that substantial. Probably when I get more lax time and more sleep… that is if I get it.

What may be underdressed in Manila, is overdressed in Malabon.

Okay, I wore a dark purple dress shirt and my trusted black coat. Without the necktie to make it a little casual, The invitation says “Formal.” Then a lot of people in the wedding comes out in jeans, summer polo shirts, casual work polo shirts, casual slacks… except for the entourage who wore the motif dress and the piña barongs, I was the only one FORMAL enough for an event, which the invitation, though however small it was written, but CLEARLY embossed with the words… F.O.R.M.A.L.

What the hell is wrong with you people?! Am I the only one who understands the DIFFERENCE between FORMAL, INFORMAL, CASUAL, STREET CASUAL, SUMMER CASUAL, COCKTAIL, RAVE, etcetera, etcetera, blahblahblah?!

Well, to factor it out, using my limited knowledge (6units of psychology and about 3units of sociology) I guess it’s still all about sub-culture. My social subculture in law school and Manila is definitely a big influence, plus my personal choice. I’m not your upper-class fashionista guy, but I know trend, and I know what OCCASION and EVENT does and what you’re supposed to wear. And it’s called PROPRIETY and DECORUM.

Oh well, that’s just me. I love to rant, as most of us people in AB do.

Ranting is an art. Freedom of expression is law. Live it, love it. Everybody hates a critic, but everyone’s interested in a critique.

Sometimes I just have to convince myself that lawyering is just a profession. It is not who I am. But to be honest, too much exposure to the eau d’jure would eventually lead to absorption through the skin and brain cells. I am in my third year… I have to accept that I am indeed different from the rest. One day in the future, I will be like Divina, Javier, Bersamin, Peralta, Pardo, Kapunan, Benipayo, Palacios et al. All sui generis.

I live a half-life. One world is me. The other world is masked.

Just a few more sleeps… summer break. WOHOO!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home