Thursday, May 11, 2006

XXI

This is the real thing.

A real court room. A real judge. A real prosecutor. A real bailiff. A real stenographer. A real clerk of court. Real complainants. Real defense.

This ain’t any game.

For one brief afternoon, I’ve represented in Pre-trial three accused persons, among them, a juvenile.

In pre-trial, you enter your stipulation of facts, those things which need not be tackled in trial, and are deemed admitted. Stipulating is more of a ritual rather than an art. Defense admits, defense denies. Prosecution denies, and in exceptional circumstances, would admit.

You propound your issues to be threshed out during trial.

You present the summary of your defense.

You present how many witnesses whose testimony you shall offer during trial.

You present your documents for marking.

With that, pre-trial is terminated.

The pre-trial order is given.

And it is the first official court document that I signed.

I am baptized with fire.

Cool…

This time, I believe, I can no longer give that many details about the person and circumstances of the accused. I am now bound by the privileged communications rule.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home