Wednesday, October 04, 2006

back on a prowl

a decade after the Era of the so called Golden Tigers (Bal David et al), who won for UST the famous Four-peat victory of the 90's. here comes the Growling Tigers, underdogs for the past years, since I entered the University in 1999.

How I wish that I could have been in Araneta Coliseum on that wonderful, beatific day.

Final quarter, with 12 seconds to go. I was alone watching in the sala. My hands clasped, tears falling from the corner of my eyes. Make it stop. Make it stop. Make it stop.

Overtime. On the screen you can see the contrasts of faces, blue and gold. Filled with passion. But as far as I know, we are more passionate than the Katipuneros. We were full of life. It is as if Cory Aquino was recently proclaimed president. A vast ocean of gold, yellow, and black.

When Ateneans comment… it usually compromises of two sentences. Mainly “Very Good” and “Nice shot” with no adversarial tune whatsoever, and with the famous Katipunan accent. Thomasians however, make ‘hiyaw’ kahit maagaw lang ang bola. Malutong kame magmura. And what do you expect to hear in a basketball game? “Bravo?” “Encore?” No. Expect to hear sacrilege in all levels.

But again, we won. By some miracle, despite the lost free throws, we still won. It was simply Digitus Dei. The finger of God.

Maybe because it’s already October, a time when the Ivory Queens of Sto. Domingo and UST are venerated, we got a special favor. Or maybe it was the telekinetic power of the student body. Or maybe it was just pure game. Or pure luck.

And for the first time in my entire student life, I listened to my alma mater hymn being played in a closing ceremony…. It was nerve-wrecking. Ghostly.

Where we are the champions.

Go Tigers.

1 Comments:

Blogger cassiopeiae said...

hehehe.. go Tigers!!!

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home